Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Month in Review

My oh my, does time fly by! So after watching Canadian television for a month, what do I have to say? What grand reflections do I have to give? Truthfully, it hasn't been that bad. Sure there have been times when it really sucked, but it hasn't been desperate times. In fact, what I have found is how easy it is to replace the American shows that I usually watch with similar Canadian ones. Being Erica instead of Grey's, Style by Jury instead of Friends, Corner Gas instead of 30 Rock, and SYTYCD-C instead of ANTM. I don't even miss the American shows that much (except maybe Grey's...oh the curiosity!).I don't see a marked difference in the quality at all and I am just as entertained. But do I feel like a better Canadian? Not so much. I don't really feel like I know Canada or what it means to be Canadian any better. I'm not going to lie, this was part of my desire to do this. Because I'm a nerd like that. I still hope to glean some sort of Canadian truth from this whole experience though.

But here's the other part of the truth: It's been easy because I've had Corner Gas to fall back on. Whenever there wasn't something on, I could just throw one of them on. Now that I'm finishing up the sixth season, it's going to be rough times soon. I mean, I have jPOD lined up for next (I realize that most people don't plan out their television watching this much or make notes during the shows but then again, I've never been one for being normal) but I'm beginning to get worried for what lies beyond that. I suppose only time will tell for that.

ps how much do I love Vincent? SO much!

1 comment:

  1. Touche. I suppose that grand revelations about Canada and its media may not surface after only a month, but any experience like this does give you a different perspective on things that will grow and a whole new lens through which to look at things which will only become more focussed.

    I did, however, recently remember that Huey from the cartoon 'The Boondocks' did a similar experiment by only watching african american shows on TV for two weeks to see how it would impact his mind and personality.. with hilarious consequences!

    ReplyDelete