Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Saskatchewan Conspiracy

I've been thinking about it, and I find it extremely odd that the 2 Canadian sitcoms that have done the best in the last decade are both set in Saskatchewan. I mean really, Saskatchewan? What is there even in Saskatchewan? Everybody loved Corner Gas because it put Saskatchewan on the map and now Little Mosque is set there as well. Does nobody else find this suspicious? Why Saskatchewan?

Here's my theory: Nobody has any strong feeling towards Saskatchewan either way. Everybody hates Ontario, mainly because of Toronto. We all know how people feel about Quebec. Ever since the whole oil fields in Alberta, it hasn't been the same and everybody hates BC because of the nice weather and mountains. All the Atlantic provinces get lumped together and the Newfies just bring down that whole crowd. Manitoba doesn't really have much but at least they have Winnipeg. Saskatchewan's got nothing. It's pretty much the middle of nowhere of Canada. Which, apparently, makes it the best place to set everything ... plus there are probably some sort of tax credits for shooting there.

What I want to know, is why nothing is ever set in the East. Toronto has Sophie and Being Erica. jPOD was set in Vancouver. Quebec has all it's own TV anyway. The Prairies have Wild Roses and Little Mosque now (I would also guess that Heartland is set there too because of all the horses but have not confirmed this). What's in the East? Don't try to sell me on all the Anne of Green Gables stuff. That's all based on novels. Where is the original, fictional programming set in the Atlantic provinces? That's what I want to see. I'm thinking that maybe New Brunswick should become the new Saskatchewan. I'd watch that.

...but really, Saskatchewan?

1 comment:

  1. I think its just because its fun to say and hard to spell! I'm with you on the East coast series though. Their production companies have got series on TV, but I struggle to think of anything that is set there. I'll get Ang on it.

    ReplyDelete