Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Rxns

One of the things I find most interesting since starting this whole experiment is the reactions from other people. My two favourite reactions so far were these:

(1) "Watching Canadian television? Don't you do this anyway?"
-Indeed I did. However once I explained that I would be losing shows like Simpsons, Friends, and even Jeopardy, he began to understand. The truth really hit home though, when I would have to give up 30 Rock. Then he really understood.

(2) Many have suggested that I should also have limited my movies and music to solely Canadian. My other friend took it even further and said I should only visit Canadian websites. Besides being insanely difficult to do so, it would mean having to give up facebook and there are very few things that would actually make me give up facebook. Almost all of them include bodily harm.

What I really like though is that it is making people think about what is actually Canadian produced. One person suggested I could watch Harper's Island because it was filmed in Canada. My mother suggested Lost in Austen because she thought it might be a co-production (actually, she properly used the phrase "co-pro" which was kinda cute). Most people think it's not a big deal since people who did not grow up on a border town like I did only have access to Canadian networks. However, Canadian networks do not equal only Canadian productions. I just want people to take a second and think about what they are watching. I'm not saying that everyone should only watch Canadian television (now there's a dream) but just to consider how much television they watch isn't made in Canada. And maybe make a few changes to their nightly selections.

...but I see my threats of kitten deaths on facebook seem to be working. Good job, people.

4 comments:

  1. My reaction was along the lines of: geez, she's got more willpower than I would.

    Then I realized that about the only thing I had time to watch all summer were the occasional Stargate episode on DVD, so I'm right there with you.

    At least until Heroes starts. Then I'll look forward to following your experiment from the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Up until now I was afraid to leave a comment because it would obviously be very biased, but after the "cute" comment all I have to say is pththththththtthpt! Other than that, I agree with you totally on everything else you have writtten. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish my mother would use film and television terms properly!

    When I told a friend of mine that you were swearing off all but Canadian content, they asked if that included food! But I am happy, like you said, that its really gotten people thinking about what is Canadian and what is not in all areas.

    For your sake I figured it would be best to leave movies out, but compensate by simply watching more Canadian movies since there are so many good ones out there. I bet if you went through all the Canadian movies at TIFF you'd want to see about half. That's pretty good, I think.

    And big truth about Canadian stations and their Canadian content. Nearly all have petitioned the CRTC over the last little while to get the licenses revised to not have to show as much in favour of American imports. Jerks. Ya know, I wouldn't be as judgement about it if we were talking international content as in 'more nations than just the US'. I'm all for a global village, just not noisy American neighbours (and screw you, spell check for suggesting I change it to 'neighbors').

    ReplyDelete
  4. ACV, This is very interesting. You make a very good point. A: it's not so easy to find in the tsunami of American product, even on Canadian screens big and small, and B: what does it mean to us as Canadians?

    I wonder sometimes if Canadians really do not care if they see themselves on their screens, but it's honestly hard to believe that could be true. I personally love seeing Canada playing itself on screen. Love our stories, big and small. We exist!! Damn it!

    Broadcasters are bottom line focused and American imports are bottom line friendly. So, no weepy sentimentality likely for Can. culture or identity from that corner. Our products are getting better and better but they will not get made if the pressure is not on from all of us and the Fed government ...should they choose to step up and remind the CRTC of the Broadcast Act and that our tax dollars fund broadcasters' million dollar buys in L.A. What's wrong with that picture?

    The recent modest bump of Cancon is not likely to be long lived if the CRTC does not change the requirements for a percentage minimum spend on Cancon for prime time drama. Even the good shows will be dropped like a hot rock the second the CRTC rolls over. Not much learned from the Avro Arrow disaster it seems.

    I think this blog is a great idea. The business, needs this kind of feedback, so does the CRTC, so do we all. Truth is we absolutely will lose it if we don't make some noise about it.

    I'm going to follow your blog. Very interested in what you find, and how you liked it.

    ReplyDelete