Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Being Erica

When Being Erica first came out, it looked like something I would like. However, I was hesitant after the whole jPOD incident. I had already had my heartbroken by the CBC and didn't know if I was ready to put myself through that again. So I kept my distance. Then one night, I had Being Erica on in the background whilst I was on my computer. And then Dr. Tom started quoting one of my favourite poems and I literally went "WHAAAT?!" (though I know nobody cares, this be the poem: http://www.artofeurope.com/larkin/lar2.htm). So this summer I sat down and watched the whole first season and that's when I realized that I was only a MA and therapist away from actually being Erica. Needless to say, this was one of the shows I was most looking forward to coming back this year.

And I wasn't disappointed. I was really upset when I thought Dr. Tom wouldn't be coming back so I was quite pleased when he did. Nadia just wasn't the same. One of the things I like most about this show is that it oddly feels aimed solely at me. Like it was designed just for me, which is something that hasn't quite happened with other shows (even jPOD, may it rest in peace). With it's references to Philip Larkin, Antigone, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and last night, a nod to Coyote Ugly, among many others. And how she worked in a call centre. I mean, I know it's not aimed just at me but it does make me like the show more.

The one thing I don't like about the show in general is that it bears some striking resemblances to one of my other favourite shows Wonderfalls (don't worry if you've never heard of it. It was cancelled after only 4 shows aired). The whole high school reunion plots are forgiveable. The main issue I have is Tyron Leitso. Now, I have no actual problem with him. Frankly, I am in favour of him being on every show. But let's compare the characters he plays on each, shall we?

Wonderfalls - Eric: goes on honeymoon to Niagara Falls with wife, wife cheats on him, he stays in Niagara Falls, becomes Jaye's love interest, wife comes back, tries to work things out, dumps wife for Jaye.

Being Erica - Ethan: married to Claire and lives in Montreal, Claire cheats on him, he moves in next door to Erica in Toronto, becomes love interest for Erica, Claire comes back, tries to work things out, dumps wife for Erica.

Let's try something other than the puppy dog dumped husband next time, shall we Tyron?

(ps check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zcOFN_VBVo ....how come my school(s) never did anything this cool???)

1 comment:

  1. LOL! You are going to have to watch some episodes with me so we can talk more in detail. Isn't is strange when shows seem so driven toward you. I mean, I felt like The A-Team was based on my adolescence.

    ReplyDelete