Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Jury is In

As I've mentioned before, Style by Jury has been one of my 'finds' so far. I always assumed it was a kind of poor man's What Not to Wear (of course makes me wonder why I would still assume the Canadian alternative would be somehow lesser ... bad me). After years of watching Stacy and Clinton, it's hard to watch other shows like it. And I will admit, I may have had an unhealthy obsession with What Not to Wear. But now I have a new unhealthy obsession: Bruce Turner. One woman got to go on a cruise with him. I want a makeover and a cruise with Bruce Turner! I mean, come on: http://www.etv.co.za/extended/index/style_by_jury/

And now Bruce just took a woman to Niagara Falls. It was sad how excited I was to see the oh-so-familiar highway signs. This is why we need more Canadian TV.

What I find interesting, though, is that the people on this show, I don't want to say are more deserving but for lack of a better phrase, we'll go with it. The last two people were cleaning women. Before that, it was a woman who worked in a nursing home. I like it because it's people who don't get to feel glamourous like this often ... or ever, really. I mean, have you seen some of the closets on What Not to Wear?

I'm really looking forward to next week though. Shows are starting to premiere on CBC which means that I might actually have something to watch! The hopes are high.

...and are people really that sensitive about their teeth??? That always seems to be the one thing they are happiest about.

2 comments:

  1. Two things: Firstly, I totally get the thrill of seeing familiar places on TV. This became especially apparent to me while watching Canada's Next Top Model since the girls took up residence around the corner from my work and frequented many places I know in Toronto (including the AGO and a club called Tryst). Not to mention Resident Evil, though I am sure that it we weren't MEANT to feel that way, they just didn't do much to disguise Toronto (but my fave was still the fact that the CBC building became the Racoon City Hospital!)

    Secondly, I've always hated that about people and their teeth. I can understand if you had crazy gnarly teeth and someone fixed them for you, but for the general population to get so excited about whiter teeth? What tooth paste or gum DOESN'T whiten your teeth these days? C'mon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?!!? The CBC building became the hospital??? I will have to watch that again!

    ReplyDelete