Monday, September 28, 2009

The Hour

So back in my student days, I remained entirely unaware of what was actually happening in the world. I never read newspapers or anything more than the headlines that would pop up online. I could have happily told you about the political turmoil of England in the at 15th century but had no idea what was currently happening.

This all changed one summer when I started watching The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos. He was my only resource for the news (this was before I started my affair with Seamus). Now aside from just watching it to see George every night, what I like most about the show is that I was introduced to things that I would never have been otherwise. From learning more about Right to Play to the fact that my mother bought In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan because she saw him on the show. Plus I get to see ex-prime ministers and Rick Mercer. I like a nice variety.

There are 2 segments of the show that I really love. First off, was last year when they introduced "The World of Good News" where they would share stories of happy events occuring in the world to balance all the end-of-the-world gloom of the recession. The other segment is the classic "Best Story Ever." I'm not going to lie: part of it is the opening claymation and children singing. But I just find it fun to see these celebrities sharing what they think is their best story ever. Though I was upset when I saw one person give two best story evers. Everyone should only get one chance, it's just the way it should be.

So I'm happy to see The Hour premiere tonight. I look forward to once again seeing George every night ... Okay, so I'm willing to admit that I'm too lame to actually stay up until 11 every night to watch (some of us have to work in the morning, you know!) so I will most likely be watching it the next day online. Still I look forward to seeing my boyfriend once again.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, George. It seems everyone I know has been in love with him forever. I've never had any quarrel with him, but I appreciate him much more now that his personality and intellect really shine on The Hour. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him once we are living together.

    Its amazing how school, even for writers and filmmakers, allows us to keep ourselves in the bubble of studenthood, cut off from the real world. But how enlightened you feel when you leave the cave, drop the fetters and begin to exponentially increase our knowledge of current events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how it sounds that George is in fact going to be living with us too. Personally, I would have nothing against that!

    ReplyDelete