Sunday, September 6, 2009

CanCin

Originally when I was considering this blog, I was going to include Canadian movies as part of the challenge. As I watch far too many movies to only survive on Canadian films, I planned on doing a 1:1 ratio. For every American movie I watched, I was going to watch one Canadian movie. That seemed fair to me. The problem, of course, is getting a hold of Canadian movies. I, for sure, couldn't do this ratio for the movies I watch in theatres (God bless Cheap Tuesdays) and as I watch most of my movies online, Canadian films don't really have a presence there either. I learned that the hard way when I was trying to watch the movies nominated for Genies. And really, who rents movies these days? (Okay, I'll admit it, I still enjoy going to Jumbo video...well, I would if I had actually gone to one within the last year). So that is why I ditched the whole Canadian movie attachment but I would still like to pump up the number of Canadian films that I do watch. (Note: if anybody has any sites they can recommend that actually have Canadian movies online, I would greatly appreciate. Thanks!)

Which is why I watched One Week (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104806/) this weekend. Also because it was recommended to me by a friend on facebook. To put it basically, it's Joshua Jackson riding across Canada on a motorcycle. Okay, so he was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to take one last trip, and to really live, before going home to get treatment. The first thing that intrigued me about this film (that has nothing to do with it being Canadian) is how as a society, we've learned to speak the language of cancer. So when the doctor tells him that he has stage four cancer, we all know what that means (even though he still has to ask the doctor to make it absolutely clear). Found that interesting.

It's been described as a love letter to Canada and essentially that's what it is. From the 2 teenagers riding bikes from St.John's to Vancouver for a case of 24 to the obsession with "World's largest" objects. As a film on the how, I'm not entirely sold on it but it's always lovely to see more of your country. And I think it did a good job of showing people trying to deal with the shorten lifespan that he was handed.

2 Things I Loved though:
(1) The narrator. Screw Morgan Freeman, I want this guy to narrate my life. Second only to Ron Howard in my books.
(2) There's one moment after Ben (Joshua Jackson) has an accident and he wakes up on the side of this empty road. So he starts dancing and the narrator describes how this is like the moment in movies when the main character dances in order to show how they have thrown off the shackles of society. But then a car drives by, staring at him so he stops dancing and the narrator says something about how he can't really dance. It made me chuckle and it's a lot funnier than it sounds here.

It's worth seeing. I would recommend it. Now, aren't I supposed to be watching some TV right now??

2 comments:

  1. Well, I think that even if you didn't do a 1:1 ratio or really planned to include Canadian films in your journey, they would still be a good way to pass time when there is nothing on TV and I think watching only Canadian shows would put you in a good head space to watch and comment on Canadian films.

    The ones I own, you've probably already seen, but I was browsing through the Canadian films on Rogers on Demand and there are pretty good and recent ones. So once we are all moved in together, we'll have to take some in

    In the meantime, see if you can get ahold of Nurse.Fighter.Boy. Great example of the new Canadian film; the type us up-and-comers insist are the future and the type that doesn't have that 'Canadian feel' that makes people sleepy or cross-eyes, but is still a meaningful, human story that is so Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to keep that in mind. I know I've heard of it but haven't seen it yet. I still want to get my hands on "Everything is Fine" and some of the other Genie nominated films.

    But I watched Century Hotel a couple weeks ago and I forgot how much I liked it!

    ReplyDelete