Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Spelling for your life

What I realized over last year and especially during the summer is that for the most part, I am never just watching TV. I'll throw it on while I'm cleaning up or doing things around the house (if you've seen how small my apartment is, you realize that this works rather well). More often than not though, I'm on my computer and have the TV just on in the background. I suppose this might be because I live alone and having the TV on makes it seem like more people are around (...of course, this is based on what the people on TV told me so I don't know how much I want to trust them on it). Or it could be a symptom of our accelerated culture and shortened attention spans. Choose whichever option you prefer.

This is of course good and bad for this challenge. It's good because I end up throwing on something that I might not have watched otherwise (ie The Nature of Things). The bad side is that there sometimes is nothing really on. Which is why I'm now watching Canada's Super Speller. This really just seems cruel since I'm a terrible speller. What is it with Canadian television and showing off smart children? From this to Reach for the Top (hells yeah!) to Canada's Next Prime Minister. Are there really that many people wanting to see smart kids/young adults compete for stuff?

...and that's when I realized that I'm really just waiting around to see the time-shifted results show for SYTYCD-C. Somehow attractive people dancing around will always beat out kids spelling. Maybe the kids just need more sequins.

1 comment:

  1. I've always been like that. I attribute it to short attention span, but more the other way around. I have my computer while I'm watching TV so I can do stuff during commercials or just follow a show a bit while I write or chat with others. I guess you'll always have CBC Newsworld though, eh? I often throw it on while I am cleaning or doing other things and its amazing how much more worldly you become even having it on in the background.

    ReplyDelete