Saturday, September 12, 2009

Defying Gravity: Shades of Grey

Once I heard about Defying Gravity, I was both excited and hesitant. Since it's been described as "Grey's Anatomy in space" and I am an extreme Grey's fan, I was both excited and hesitant. Now sci fi shows don't usually turn my crank(Buffy and Stargate excluded) so I was a little extra nervous.

Overall, I think it's a good show. Great? No. Grey's? No, definitely not enough sex to make it Grey's. It uses the same voice-over convention as Grey's but for some reason, I don't connect to it since it's done by Maddox Donner (seriously, that's the character's name. It just doesn't hit me as hard as Grey's.

The one thing I think bothers me the most is that it feels more cinematic than a TV show. It's really like 2 shows since it has so many flashbacks. I now have to remember wants going on while they are in space and what happened 5 years ago. And maybe it's because I never started watching Lost or any other highly serialized show, but I really dislike how we're 8 episodes in and we're just going to learn what this whole BETA thing is. I don't mind some suspense but this is just taking too long.

Lastly, remember how I was complaining about how the shows are starting at awkward times of the year? This show premiered on August 2. The Halloween episode aired on September 4th. Does this really make sense?

(What I did like though: the last episode was all about obeying orders and since I like rules and organization so much, I greatly enjoyed it).

4 comments:

  1. I was thinking about comparing it to Lost the sentence before you brought it up in your post! I've been meaning to check it out but haven't had a chance yet. I think I might despite your lack of enthusiasm for it. I always wished I was a fan of Greys, but despite giving it an honest go, I could never get into it. I am glad you gave the Buffy/Stargate shout out though, are you pumped SGU starts up at the beginning of October?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can I be pumped when I can't watch it? Plus, I never got into Atlantis that much. I'm more of an SG-1 type of girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I would still suggest watching it, since it does have that sci-fi feel you might like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been watching it too. I agree, it's taking way to long to get to the Beta explanation. I do however like the flashbacks, as it opens the story up and as a viewer we understand what these characters have gone through, and the relationship they have towards one another.(although there's a couple of characters I really can't stand, and find obnoxiously annoying) The reason for the Halloween episode; I predict the production was hoping for a Fall primetime pickup which would have put the Halloween episode in line with Halloween, however, the broadcastor picked it up for a summer debut which when aired, was too early.

    ReplyDelete