Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Way of the Future?

We have all gotten used to product placement in our shows. I mean, in SYTYCD-C, Tylenol sponors the after the dance section, Canon shows the dancers getting ready and somebody else probably does the recap of all the dances. For the most part, it's not something you notice any more. But last night on Little Mosque, I was a little surprised with the TD placement. First you got it in the background of a bunch of shots (and Thorne's car oddly matched the TD colours). Then a scene actually took place inside. Okay, scenes take place in banks all the time but I can't really recall if they ever actually state which bank it is. But here, the teller kindly does her "Welcome to TD, how can I help you?" And then I thought, "Hm, I think TD might be giving the CBC some funding."

Now, I've always been okay with product placement as long as it doesn't play an active role in the show (unless it's like in Josie and the Pussycats where it almost becomes another character). I mean, the money for these shows has to come from somewhere so if there occassionally has to be Snapples in the shot, I can deal. Of course there is an intersection of art and business, the problem becomes when you notice the business more than the art. But it's a fine line when it becomes distracting. Little Mosque was walking the line because I think anything more would have been too much.

But am I more likely to go to TD now??? Not really. I hate their commercials with the old men.

4 comments:

  1. Agree with you on the whole TD bank scene in Little Mosque. I was wondering what was going on. It was a little too much. Plus, the old men , tiresome.
    I also am not happy with the new member of Little Mosque. Fred Turner was ridiculous enough that you would never take him seriously and it would make you laugh. Tis new Rev. THorne, I just want to smack. I have only seen the one episode from this week about the Fun Fair, so I maybe a little hasty in my judgement and will give it a few more peeks, but if is like that all the time, I will find something else to watch.
    When you mentioned the high hopes we all had for FLashpoint and continued co-pros, which I was also hoping for, it made me think.
    They seem to love Canadian actors since there are so many down there, and there are also plenty of Candian writers in the U.S., but why when you put the two togehter do they have a problem?
    I know they picked up FLashpoint during the writers strike and it was cheaper, so I thought it may have been the start of something new too. I guess we are the proverbial understudys. Just never quite good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not such a big fan of the new priest either. We'll see how that works out.

    I'm just really interested to see how many co-pros are on tap for next year. But the fact that Americans don't watch Canadian TV is a good thing since it seems to suggest that Canadians do have a distinct culture and is not just "America Lite." But if only Canadians watched Canadian TV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. I am happy you mentioned that the money has to come from somewhere. I can only say that is jPod might still be on the air today if their was a Coke machine in their pod and they placed more of his shoes in the foreground.

    I find it hard to be against it. If its not blatantly an ad (a la "Welcome to TD, Sheila McCarthy, have you heard about our new mortgage rates?" " Why no! But I love TD, can you please tell me more about them"), than its a little product tit for production money tat. Its always about money, but sometimes that money can give you more artistic freedom or enable you to go further into a series.

    And as far as the new priest goes, I'll let Michael Kennedy know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like I said, I understand and usually support product placement as long as it doesn't go too far. I think the CBC is walking a fine line year (seeing as they pretty much did the first part of your example there). And with jPOD, I would have happily had more product placement because it would have been done in a 30 Rock-isque ironic type of way. I'm willing to see more product placement...as long it's not blatant advertising.

    ReplyDelete