Monday, October 12, 2009

Giving Thanks

It seems appropriate that on this Thanksgiving weekend, we take time to appreciate things in our lives. Besides all the family, friends and all that jazz, I think we should all give thanks for local TV. Hopefully by now, you've all seen the commercials for Local TV Matters. These revolve around the fee-for-carriage issue. Now originally, it took me a long time wrap my head around this idea (and I don't really know why, apparently I'm just slow). But essentially, the traditional broadcasters (CBC, CTV, Global) want the cable and satellite companies to have to pay to carry their signal. These companies have to pay to carry American stations like CNN and HBO etc but the traditional Canadian broadcasters don't get anything. And what is the response from the cable companies? "If we have to start paying to carry these signals, we're going to pass the cost onto the customers!"

When I first heard about this issue, I assumed the cable companies would win and the networks would get screwed. But now I'm not thinking it will end like this. This commercial campaign is first of all, going to (hopefully) get the public on their side. Everyone already hates most cable companies already (personally, I'm already not a fan of Rogers...) and the possibility of having to pay more for cable. But the truth is, with all the different local stations that have had to close over this year, I think people are actually paying attention this time around. Especially since even during times of economic crisis, people aren't canceling their cable since that's their escape from the real world. So while the networks growing through a crisis because of the economy and lack of ad revenue (damn you internet!), the cable companies are still in a good place.

What I find most awesome about these commercials? Most people are watching these commercials on their cable! The cable companies have to carry these networks and so in fact, the cable companies have to air these commercials against themselves. Frankly, if I didn't have cable, I wouldn't have seen these commercials at all.

Plus the networks have a catchy song: http://localtvmatters.ca/. What have the cable companies got?

1 comment:

  1. I've been following this issue for months now, and I'm torn about it all. First and foremost, I HATE the fact that the cable and satellite companies took the low road and based their whole argument around getting consumers to side with them by threatening to pass the cost onto consumers. Eff that. The fact that they have been able to air signals from broadcasters without paying anything dumbfounds me, but the way they have dealt with the whole situation enrages me.
    As for traditional broadcasters though, they are not completely blameless. Desperation doesn't suit anyone well, and the fact that this is only coming up now that the recession has hurt them so bad is not good for their case. Traditional broadcasters are clinging so hard to the old ways of working with ad revenue and not adapting to the internet age, and, realistically, they've had a decade to do so.
    But, in the end, the only people that will lose is the consumers. They will either have to pay more or lose local stations. Its a goddamn shame.

    ReplyDelete