Monday, October 5, 2009

Battle of the Blades

One of the reasons I was looking forward to this show so much was because you can see how it probably came into being:

"Hm, I think we should do a Canadian Dancing with the Stars."
"But Canada doesn't have any stars (especially b-list stars)."
"What do we have?"
"Hockey players."
"I know! It'll be Dancing with the Stars...on ice!"

Overall, I enjoyed it though. I do enjoy figure skating and am glad to see Kurt Browning again. What I noticed and expected though, is that it is mostly the women skating around the men who occasionally throw them in the air. But I know that as they improve, the performances will get a lot better. And I'm looking forward to it.

The one thing I notice though, that makes me smile is that when the men make a mistake, they all shrug their shoulders and shake their heads. It's just such a change from professional skaters where they just keep on going without even a facial expression. It does draw a lot more attention to it even though I know I would probably do the same thing. And the men are so out of breathe when they finish.

The part that made me a little was the technical errors that kept occurring. The judges' monitors weren't working (which I thought worked out better since they had to say their scores aloud which I liked). Kurt messed up at one point. But it all just made it fall into the Canadian stereotype of poor production quality. At least there was no boom mikes.

(sidenote that probably only my family will appreciate: While I was watching it, the hockey players kept having problems with the toe picks. And I thought to myself: "Toe picks? This all sounds vaguely familiar. OH MY GOD! It's the Cutting Edge!" And then suddenly I enjoyed the show so much more).

2 comments:

  1. Toe picks! You can't hear that without thinking Cutting Edge.Made me want to watch it again.lol. Nein?
    I really enjoyed the show and as you mentioned, always a pleasure to see Kurt, and was also dissappointed ( embarresed?)when the judges monitors weren't working.
    I was surprised when Probert was voted off the ice, although he would have been in my top three. I thought that Daneyko and Higgins should have gone.
    Checked the CBC site and it seems Duguay and Underhill had 1344 votes, Domi and Hough-Sweeny had 1115 and Lemieox and Bounre had 938.
    I found I enjoyed Tie Domi more than I thought I would. I know it takes time to learn the routines, but I think it is just as hard for these tough guys who usually have an image to uphold ,to let their emotional and soft side out in front of everybody. I think they will get better at that too.
    I will of course be watching until the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you can't teach grace, eh? You can take the boy off the ice....

    I know what you mean about the technical problems. We probably would have forgiven an American production, but we can't all this to happen when our reputations need improving.

    TOE PICK!

    ReplyDelete