Friday, October 9, 2009

The Hour ...

As much as I love George, and I do, don't get me wrong, I don't know how I feel about some of the changes in this new season. I mean, the guests are still top notch but the show is trying some new things and generally, I don't like new things.

First of all, now they tend to show more of the audience or behind the scenes type shots. Which really isn't too bad except when I see the guy telling the audience to clap. That just doesn't seem classy. And they do these different camera angles before he does Mile a Minute which I don't care for. Or the new woman who does the voice-over for the bios. Or the "Tomorrow's Headlines Tonight." I miss when George would end the show with "And that's time." I much preferred that.

But those are all little things that I suppose aren't a big detail. What I dislike is how George now insists on playing games with the guests. I mean, true or false with Drew Barrymore is one thing but I don't really care what type of music Richard Dawkins listens to. For me, I find it takes away from the seriousness of the show. It always had the fun/cool edge but was still a credible show. Now it feels like it's gone down a few pegs.

...excuse me now, I have to go spend some quality time with George.

2 comments:

  1. Changes to a show are precarious! If they kept everything the same everyone (but you) would say "Ugh, same old thing. They can't come up with anything new". The moment they do change everyone (like you) says they've now tried too hard to be trendy.

    Alas, I agree, the games seem to diminish the show, but if I were ever a talk show host (as I can fancy myself being some day) I would probably do it as one more notich in the "I'm so different and more laid back than everyone else who does this" belt. In the end, I guess it all depends on how your quests respond: if they dig it, chances are the audience will as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I would probably do that to but I think that the reason I dislike it is that it no longer feels like a conversation. Even though I know he's just sitting there asking question, it just feels more like a give and taken than with these games.

    ReplyDelete