Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Never too old

I hate to admit it, but I think I'm starting to like Degrassi. Now I've only seen The New Generation and completely out of order but they are growing on me. I realized this today when I turned one on and was shocked to find out that Liberty was pregnant. I was shocked. And then I found out that JT was the father and that this was the first time that I had ever actually seen JT (and I was very impressed indeed...).

The other thing I disovered today was Instant Star. I had heard of it but never really bothered watching it since I'm not really the target audience. But it just happened to come on after Degrassi (okay, I realize I need to stop watching shows at teenagers. I know, I know) and I actually found it really interesting. It follows this teenage girl who wins a singing constant show and shows how she deals with being an instant star. First of all, I thought it was a really interesting idea to fictionalize a reality show like that but also showing the downside to becoming instantly famous. Which is probably something that most kids should know since everybody these days thinks they should be famous. Secondly, it's an interesting counter-part to Hannah Montana since this show has a much more real vibe to it (possibly because it seems to be aimed at a slightly older audience but still). Though Hannah experiences times in which it isn't fun to be famous, the consequences never really seem to appear. Thirdly, the issue on this episode was that the media started questioning her virginity which is something that all female pop stars seem to have to deal with. But she refused to answer the question, leading to everybody thinking that she isn't but later on reveals to one of her friends that she's still a virgin. I admire that she was able to take such an adult stance on this issue and that the show dealt with a very real issue.

Now I just have another show that I either have to find online or buy on DVDs.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure about Degrassi, but I think I could get into Instant Star. But lucky for me, they are both on before I get home! But, I am looking forward to getting more CanCon in my life now that we share a habitat.

    ReplyDelete