Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Mysterious Disappearance of Defying Gravity

Last week (I believe, as I have permanently lost all track of time), Defying Gravity was not on. Originally it had started on Sunday nights and then was moved to Fridays. Then instead of DG, Flashpoint premiered. I thought, okay, where are they going to shove DG now? And why does everyone (meaning CTV and Global) shove the Canadian shows to Friday and Saturday nights when everybody with lives are out doing other things? Anyway, I looked around for it and realized it wasn't there. So I checked the next week. Not there either. I then had to go to wikipedia in order to find out what happened to it (I know that I really need to stop getting all my information from wikipedia but it's just so handy!).

So here's the deal: Apparently now the rest of the shows (episodes 10-13) are only being aired on Space. Which means that both CTV and ABC have dropped the show from their line-ups. This is a similar story to The Listener which NBC pulled mid-season due to low ratings. What a sad day for co-pros. After all the hope and optimism of Flashpoint, we all believed in a new era. I just hope that Americans don't give up on Canadian TV after this. Especially since Canadians have given up on so long ago.

The only silver lining in all this is that Space will be posting the remaining episodes of DG online so I can actually watch them. Even though I didn't care for the show, I still need to know what happens!

2 comments:

  1. Not to sound lame or anything, but you kinda sounded like Kaulbars in that second paragraph. I still love you though, as Allison. Not Kaulbars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that American viewers and broadcasters are just waiting for Canada to screw up. After Flashpoint got the momentum going the recession really helped get Canadian shows on American airwaves. But realistically, so long as the production value is there and broadcasters think their is an audience, Canadian shows will always have a lure because American broadcasters don't have to get their hand dirty and buy it for cheap when its done, or get into a co-pro and take on any level of involvement they want. Its good for everyone and it'll keep happening. The gate has been opened.

    ReplyDelete