Saturday, October 10, 2009

TD CBC?

You know, if the CBC wasn't the public broadcaster, I would think it had been bought by TD. Seriously?

(1) As previously mentioned, the whole Little Mosque - TD scene.

(2) TD now sponsors "The World of Good News" for The Hour.

(3) On Being Erica, Judith's husband not only works for TD but had to give a speech with large TD banners behind him. And the large green chair. And the point of the speech? "Promoting diversity in the TD Canada workplace."

...And all of this was just in one week. I mean, I know that neither of the two scripted shows revolved around TD and it would have been easy to slip in references to the bank into the shows. But I find that once shows actually start inserting the names of products in the shows (without the type of ironic self-awareness as in shows like 30 Rock) it becomes too much. It's a dangerous road, CBC. Please be careful.

I really wonder what kind of deal the CBC struck with TD.

3 comments:

  1. Now, come to think of it...i did feel a little uneasy about the whole Judith's Husband working for TD, and how it was exposed like that. I'm exposed to TD enough as it is unfortunately because not only does my boyfriend bank with TD but also my housemate, one of my good friends works for TD, I live right down the street from one and my mom keeps insisting I go apply there.
    I think TD Canada Trust is taking over my life. And now, it's on my favorite television program.

    RBC rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth: most people won't notice.

    Here's the realist filmmaker in me. People do go into and use TD banks. I would almost go as far to say, everything should be specific as it is in real life. Every can of pop would have a label, all banks would have logos, etc. But I guess the difference is whether or not is an ambient element. If you intentionally draw attention to it, then its advertising. But its interesting that if Little Mosque put them in a bank that had green elements and similar design, people would recall it as a TD and the image would be subconsciously planted in their heads. I think that is equally effective 'advertising' and certainly adds more credibility to such things when we artists do it. But that will be the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not happy about the TD experience which I think mentioned in an earlier comment, and it reminded me of Master Card. Everywhere you go, even if you have a Sears Card or a Zellers card, they will ask if you ant a Mster Card. I have had it up to here with Master card. which has nothing to do with TV, but TD is in my face everyday on commmercials, but now they are going to ruin my "get away from it all" time?
    Stellat DIsco was right, RBC rules, plus they just have that little cartoonish man. Much better.

    ReplyDelete