Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Listener

I spent most of yesterday doing absolutely nothing. It was wonderful. But I was also catching up on CTV's The Listener. And it wasn't as terrible as I thought it was.

I will admit. I unfairly judged the show. Mostly because of SNL. They did a skit once mocking The Closer, by having a man dressed as Penny Marshall starring as The Looker (really terrible quality but here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ljinko1KCA&feature=PlayList&p=E750B66F70A0BC37&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6_). And whenever I heard "The Listener," that's what I think of.

Overall, I'm impressed with the show but we all know that's not the interesting part so here are the problems I have with it:

As much as I love a man in uniform (especially when it's Craig Olejnik), Toby completely oversteps the boundaries of being a paramedic. I'm pretty sure the police would have been much more violent towards him than just the distain Charlie shows towards him. And as a character, he seems kinda one dimensional. I dig the dark, mysterious and brooding man but I find him kinda flat at times. I would just like to see him happy every once and a while.

What I do like? That his best friend Oz is Turkish and his love interest Olivia is Asian. How Canadian. And Toby's apartment. And that in the one shot, you could see the spot where I used to wait for the bus all the time. It was good times. Generally I'm not a fan of cop shows (you notice the lack of Flashpoint and The Border in this blog) but I do like the twist that he is a telepath. That keeps me interested. And how did I get this far without mentioning Colm Feore? I love that man.

2 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of cop shows either, but you should check out Flashpoint,besides just having Enrico Colantoni on it, it is a very good show. Not as flashy , or more importantly , not as gruesome as it's Ammerican counterparts. Although the season premiere was very sad, very sad indeed.
    And as I may have mentioned before, Murdoch Mysteries is also very good and I can't wait for it to come back.
    I will miss the Listener if it does not come back. I agree that maybe the police would have been a little more suspicious, but it was different, and I always enjoy those definitey Canadian made shows because you recognize the locations, the currency and license plates so you feel it's more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Allison. I've only seen it once or twice, but you can't rely on one fella's amazing eyes to carry a show. LOL!

    ReplyDelete