Friday, April 30, 2010

The End, my friend

Can you believe that we made it? Except for that Mormon choir at Christmas, I have not watched anything other than Canadian productions on the TV. It certainly has been an experience that I have thoroughly enjoyed and can't believe that I can now go back to watching whatever I want, whenever I want. I'm not going to lie, it feels kinda weird.

Now, do I think that everyone should only watch Canadian content? (could you even imagine?) No, but one of the main points of this whole challenge was to make people more aware of what they are watching. Yes I think more Canadians should watch Canadian productions because I do think they reflect who we are and our media is an important part of who we are as a nation. Our shows are different than American ones and that is important. They shouldn't be immediately discounted just because they are Canadian and appear as lesser. I want people to take note of and make an effort to watch more Canadian television. If more people watched it, then it would become even better.

I know I won't watch 100% Cancon anymore but I do know that the percentage that I watch will be higher than it was before (as I hope your's is too). I've been trying to come up with a ratio that I think I would be comfortable with. I'm thinking of trying for 70/30 (Canadian/Not Canadian). When I think of all the Canadian shows that I'm looking forward to coming back in the fall (The Republic of Doyle, Being Erica, So You Think You Can Dance Canada, The Listener Canada's Next Top Model, Little Mosque on the Prairie, 18 to Life, Hiccups, Dan for Mayor....okay, so I'm not hundred percent sure that all of these are coming back but my fingers are crossed) or the shows I know that I'll be returning to again and again (Slings and Arrows, Robson Arms, Murdoch Mysteries, Corner Gas, jPOD, Degrassi, Stargates, Defying Gravity), I don't think that it will be hard to achieve. Plus all those fun mini-series or events that the CBC has that I've grown to love. And the fact that I've been out of the loop of American shows for a year so I don't really have any idea of what's going on there also helps. (Just to clarify, after I gorge myself on American TV and catch up on the few shows that I've missed out on, then the 70/30 will come into play...don't judge me too harshly).

I think everyone should strive the at least a 50/50. It's hard but it's worth it to have a television culture that is vibrant and an integral part of the society at large. But it's really not that hard once you recognize how great Canadian television really is.

But for now, everyone put on your party hats because this challenge is over! (...as of midnight tonight). Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment