Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Life after Degrassi

Lots of people got their start on Degrassi and have gone on to do great things. Usually they pop up in other TV shows and I'm happy for them. But I was rather surprised when I was watching the music video for Wavin' Flag by Young Artists for Haiti (and they are using the term 'young' loosely there but that's another story) and I see Jimmy Brooks from Degrassi rapping right in the middle of the song! Of course, his real name is Aubrey Graham and he played Jimmy who got shot by Rick and is then confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his time on the show. So apparently now he's a rapper who goes by the name Drake. I was even more shocked when I learned that he sang Best I ever Had which I've heard repeatedly on the radio. Apparently he's actually somebody. And has been rumoured to be dating Rihannon (weird).

So even though I found it all kinda bizarre (and I'm apparently out of the loop on this type of thing), I thought good for him. But then I saw his video for Best I Ever Had and frankly, if you haven't seen it, don't. I mean, of course I've seen hip hop videos and know what they are like but this one just seems so much worse than all the rest. As far as I can tell, Drake is the coach of a woman's basketball team and basically only teaches them to stretch and then buys uniforms that are ridiculously impractical for basketball. It literally has nothing to do with the song at all. And it isn't even done well. It all just seems in extra poor taste and poor quality.

I don't care if he's worked with Kanye West and Jay-Z. I'm not looking forward to seeing him at the Junos.

No comments:

Post a Comment