Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Juno Awards

So Sunday night were the big and snazzy Juno awards. Pretty much the only Canadian award people know about. I have to admit. I was a little disappointed that there was no host. I generally do not like how most award shows are going that way now. I do admit that at times I have wondered why award shows need hosts at all but that is usually just when they are doing a terrible job. I think it helps organize the show and I like organization.

I only have a few things to say about the show because really, it wasn't that remarkable. I felt bad that Bryan Adams couldn't make it back to accept his big award. He did good. I was surprised Michael Buble kept winning but then I realized that that was rather silly of him since he is such a huge star. In a way, I was surprised when bands like Blue Rodeo and Tragically Hip were nominated because I ended up thinking "They're still around?" I mean, I know they are but I never hear their music so I am always surprised to hear they are nominated for something (though I'm sure they completely deserve it).

Now on to the new faces of Canadian music. Seriously, did Drake always have to be on stage? I know he's real famous and all now but that guy was everywhere. And frankly, his own performance wasn't that great. And why did nobody mention he was from Degrassi? I just always feel the need to bring it up. Wasn't all that surprised when K'naan won for best songwriter or finished the show with Wavin' Flag. That guy has done well for himself. What was probably the biggest surprise of the night for me was that poor Justin Bieber didn't get anything. I really thought he would have gotten more. I suppose it's probably one of those 'he's still young, he has plenty to time to win' or maybe his music just isn't that good. Who can say?

The best part of the whole night? When the Barenaked Ladies made that crack about Michael Buble crushing the hopes and dreams of a small child (Mr.Bieber). Still makes me chuckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment