Monday, February 1, 2010

Love Letters

I would like to start off apologizing about the length of the previous post. Apparently some of us have an obsession with Mr. Coupland. Sometimes it gets out of control.

But I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Love Letters last night. I found it really interesting since essentially it's just people sitting around reading letters, that they didn't write, to each other. But for me, it just placed more emphasis on the words themselves and I found myself agreeing on how much I love writing/receiving actual letters. Especially since CBC classed it as a 'performing arts' piece. How often do you get to see something like that on a major broadcaster during primetime?

Personally, I also really liked learning about the couples who were reading the letters. I had no idea that Colin Mochrie was married to Debra McGarth who plays the mayor on Little Mosque. But my favourite couple had to be Samantha Bee and Jason Jones. Right from the beginning when Jason told her that if she died, he would save her fingers. But I also think they did the best reading. Maybe it was because they got the most dramatic section of the letters but there was something about the way Samantha read.

And I have to say, that this is something that I can say with about 85% certainty that I would not have watched had I not been doing this challenge. I would have seen the commercials (possibly, depending if I was watching any CBC at that point) and thought it looked interesting but then would have forgotten about it. In fact, we probably would have been watching The Simpsons. But it makes me really happy because now I'll be more likely to watch things like this in the future. And I look forward to them!

2 comments:

  1. Wehn you mentioned this show , I was not sure if I would watch. It didn't really sound that interesting, but I do like to give things a chance because you never know what you will find, and although maybe the first five or ten minutes didn't engage me right away, I stayed and watched the rest and was pleasantly surprised.It was nice to see these couples as themselves (except maybe that "woman" with Carlo Rota, but that's just personal) and see how they conveyed their parts of the letters, and to try and imagine a couple who could stay in touch all those years by letters. It was a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was better than I thought it was going to be and kind of touching. The performances were great and I thought the little interview moments were cute!

    ReplyDelete