Sunday, February 7, 2010

International TV

There other day, I had a mad craving to watch Extras since I love Ricky Gervais. And I got excited because for a small second, I thought I could watch it. I mean, it's not American TV at all! But then came the actual thinking part of my brain which said it still wasn't Canadian. Then the sadness came.

But here's the thing, I realized that my main problem is with the amount of American TV that is available to Canadians. I mean, I don't think I would have as much of a problem with there was more British or Italian or Russian shows on. I would find them rather interesting. I mean, I always tell myself that I should read more Russian literature but here I am, limiting my television habits to Canadian shows. In a world of globalization, this would be wrong. But globalization is one thing. What I'm really fighting is Americanization. I want to be able to watch TV from all around the world instead of just another cop drama set in New York.

So I guess I won't be able to watch the anime 'Shaman King' with my friend either until this is over. She'll just have to wait. (But I highly recommend if you haven't seen the show 'Extras', you should. And start with the one with Kate Winslet. You'll never be able to look at her the same way again after you here her talking about Sam Mendes polishing his Oscar).

ps Guess who isn't watching the Superbowl today???

No comments:

Post a Comment