Friday, March 26, 2010

Paralympics what?

You might have noticed that I loved the Olympics. So when the Paralympics started, I thought: Great! More sports and better yet, more sports I don't usually watch. I thought it would be a great way for me to learn about the Paralympic sports.

So the one afternoon I caught the opening ceremonies and that was really nice. And then they had the first Canadian sledge hockey game on so we watched that. But that was pretty much all I saw. I checked and the next day CTV only had 2 hours of coverage scheduled for it. And then none on Monday. And literally, I didn't catch anymore of the Paralympic games. True, I didn't make any special effort but I thought that CTV would have it on some of the time. Or at least advertising for it but I didn't see anything. It might have been on TSN or Rogers Sportsnet but I never remember seeing it even listed. I was just shocked by how little I heard about it after the opening ceremonies. Just yesterday I went to check out how the sledge hockey team had did and realized that the whole games had ended! (The sledge hockey team came in 4th by the way. I was surprised that Japan got silver)

Now I wasn't expecting it to have the same amount of coverage as the Olympic games. Those games probably didn't even need that much coverage. But I was still expecting enough time devoted to the games. I expected to be reminded that they were on. Maybe I didn't watch enough CTV during that time but I hoped that I would see it listed and I would be able to catch some events.

But according to the website, there was still an amazing amount of support out in Vancouver for the Paralympic games. Events selling out, packed seats, etc. It's just a shame that we couldn't support them by watching.

2 comments:

  1. Aside from the highlights show on CTV everything was on Sportsnet or TSN. However they did show the gold medal sledge hockey game live on CTV. Before the game they aired Sledhead - a documentary on the Canadian national team. And while seats did sell out I could see quite a few empty ones across the ice from me.

    Don't forget to watch Rick Mercer tonight @ the Paralympics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could not agree with you more. Regardless of how much more coverage of the Paralympics their has been in reference to what there has been in the past, there simply needed to be better distribution of that content. CTV simply did not recognize that their was an audience that wants that content and they wanted it live as well as achieved, whether that be on-line or on the TV. I have been keeping an active blog and a virtual 3D Olympics at http://blog.virtualwhistler.com and if you visit it you will notice that I have been overly positive. I loved these Olympic and Paralympic games but I was and still am rather frustrated to say the least. I WANTED TO SEE MORE PARALYMPIC GAMES. I am lucky because I live in Whistler and get to see the odd event live, but these games are quite captivating and I am saddened to put it mildly that I could not see more of the games.

    ReplyDelete