Monday, March 29, 2010

Keep Your Head Up Kid

Despite being Canadian, I am not a hockey fan. In fact, I'm not a sports fan in the least. And even though I know who Don Cherry is, I don't really know that much about him. He seems like a nice guy, a bit loud for my liking but hey, he is who he is. So when I saw that the CBC was doing a mini-series on him, I thought that was nice. I debated if I should watch it or not since I would really only be watching it so I could write about it here and not so much because I was personally interested in the story. I'm sure he's led a very eventful life and overcame many things. I just wasn't invested in it.

That was until he was on The Hour. They showed a clip from the mini-series and you could tell that he was emotionally affected by it. In fact, he refused to watch it before it aired on the CBC (even though he had many chances to) since he knew that he needed to watch it alone. It was amazing to see somebody who is a huge personality like that be so emotionally honest. He didn't hide the fact that it was going to be so tough for him to watch (apparently the actress playing his wife looks exactly like she did).

And after watching the first part last night, I have to say I was impressed. I laughed a couple times. I was sad at times. For me, what makes it truly fascinating is that his son wrote the script. I'm sure enough of the stories were passed down from Cherry family lore but at the same time, you are exposing your family for the whole world to see. And being brutally honest about your father (it's not exactly the most flattering portrayal but I don't think Mr. Cherry would have it any other way).

But for me what added a lot to the experience was knowing that Don Cherry was sitting in his home alone, watching it too. That's what makes me respect him so much more now.

No comments:

Post a Comment