Monday, March 15, 2010

Love Hate and Propaganda

The one thing about living in Toronto that I've really noticed and has helped this blog is that there seems to be a lot of advertising for Canadian shows around the city. Bus shelters mostly have helped with their CBC or CTV ads for their new shows.

I mention this because this is how I learned of CBC's mini-series Love Hate and Propaganda. It took me a while to look close enough at the posters to see if it was a CBC program. And though I missed the first one, I was fascinated by the one last week and look forward to watching the rest of it. It's a close look at the use of propaganda in World War II. And it's hosted by Strombo which doesn't hurt either. But last week was all about how Hitler sold the war in Germany when most Germans didn't want war. Or how Japan also used propaganda in it's preparations for the war.

It just made me think of Canada (of course) and how you never really see a lot of Canadian propaganda, even around that time. Though I know Canada has not been without it's own propaganda, all for various means but that's not what you think of when you think of propaganda. It just makes me wonder if it has anything to do with our supposed lack of a national identity. If we had had more propaganda during the wars or even way back in the day, would Canada feel more defined today? And would that even be a good thing? Just makes me want to research more into Canada's own propaganda.

No comments:

Post a Comment