Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Quality

When I first started this challenge, I thought the hard part was going to be finding enough Canadian content to meet the quota of TV I like to watch. I never worried about the quality because I figured that I wouldn't have that many options to be picky. So I figured I would have to take what I could get.

The surprising part is, for the most part, I've greatly enjoyed the shows that I've been watching. I've discovered a bunch of shows that I probably wouldn't have bothered watching before and now have become a big fan of. Rarely has there been a show that I absolutely hated and positively will never watch again. I mean with shows like Slings and Arrows, Robson Arms, Being Erica, Corner Gas, Defying Gravity, Little Mosque and now 18 to Life and Republic of Doyle, I've been greatly enjoying all of these new shows in my life.

But it makes me wonder at what point in our lives that we stop watching Cancon. I mean, I grew up on Mr. Dressup, Fred Penner and Under the Umbrella Tree. From there, I switched to MuchMusic and hung out with all the VJs. But after that time of my life, the amount of Cancon in my life really dropped off. It just felt like there was nothing there for me. And even when I started this, I didn't think there was going to be much aimed at me. Then I realized that Being Erica felt remarkably aimed specifically at me and the world opened up to me. There are just so many great shows out there now!

...except Kids in the Hall. I'm still debating if I want to tune in again this week and just hope it gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment