Monday, January 11, 2010

Now, where's that self-destruct?

One of the happiest discoveries on this voyage has been that I can still watch all the Stargate I want. Admittedly, I'm not usually into sci-fi but there was just something about Stargate that sucked me in and has never really let me go. So when I found out that Atlantis and Universe were actual co-productions and even found some Canadian money in SG-1, I was quite pleased. I had never really gotten into Atlantis since I was such a hardcore SG-1 fan (which only slightly had to do with my crush on Daniel Jackson) but this time around, I've been quite enjoying it. Here are my thoughts on the matter thus far:

(1) There are many many more women on Atlantis than there was on SG-1. Sure Teyla filled the token woman spot of the main team like Samantha Carter did but the whole expedition is led by a woman (Elizabeth Weir and then Samantha Carter...I haven't gotten to the 5th season yet so shush). The head of medicine is eventually a woman (though she will never replace Carson Beckett in my heart). And there just seems to be generally more women around, as scientist and members of other teams. I think this is good. It may be because Atlantis is run by the IAO and not the military like the SGC is.

(2) This leads into one of the biggest problems that I had with SG-1: Sam never had sex with any aliens. Or even humans, really. Okay, I know that may sound kinda weird to people who have never seen the show but all the male members of the team quite enjoyed their time with female aliens. Especially Dr. Jackson, despite the fact that he joined the team in order to find his wife. He just couldn't keep his hands off them! But even O'Neill and Teal'c had their own sexual encounters. But we hear nothing about poor old Sam. She did have a relationship with that Deluise but even that ended.

Here is my theory: let's look at the stereotypical sci-fi fan. Out of all the members of SG-1, who would they resemble? Or at least think they resemble? Answer: Daniel Jackson. O'Neill is the guy they wish they could be. Teal'c is the alien best friend they wish they had. And Sam ends up being the woman they want thus she is kept 'pure' for them. But that's just my theory.

BUT in Atlantis, everybody somehow seems more uncomfortable about sex. Even Sheppard. Though he does have a weakness for those ascended women. And Teyla actually gets pregnant. Naturally! Then again, this is okay since she is, in fact, 'alien.' But it's a start. And seeing as I don't know how that storyline ends, I'll have to wait till I can comment further on it.

(3) With Atlantis, I actually really like Dr. Rodney McKay. Because he is Canadian (both in real life and on the show). But it's because he doesn't fall into the stereotype of a Canadian. He's not polite or friendly. He's quite selfish and conceited. I like to see the switch-up in representation like that.

sidenote: in case anybody is wondering how the title is relevant, it's because in almost every episode, Hammond (and Weir) seem to think that the self-destruct button is the solution to all of life's problems. He would press that thing at the drop of a hat. I'm not saying he's a bad guy (though I'm still convinced he's the one who stole the touchstone) but he was just a little quick to the self-destruct. May he rest in peace.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on all of your theories, except maybe the Touchstone. You still can't get over that,eh,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that they went to the school of Janeway (ST: Voyager). She was always about to self destruct her ship. And for much worse reasons than Hammond or Weir.

    And Carter might not have much sex, but she definitely had the biggest contingent of puppydog beaus following her around. One from every species. Minimum.

    How are you enjoying Universe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really only watched a couple episodes of Universe so far. I'm hoping that once I finish up Atlantis, we'll catch up on that show. There's also been talk of watching all of SG-1 over again but that seems like a massive undertaking.

    I'm really interested to see how Universe unravels though and how it comes to the other series.

    ReplyDelete