Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hiccups Indeed

Brent Butt has created a new show. It's called Hiccups and it's about a children's author with anger management problems. I thought it sounded like good show but was a little wary when I learned that Nancy Robertson would be starring in it. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against here. I'm just afraid for her. I don't want to see her or Fred Ewanuick (and his new show Dan for Mayor) suffer from the Seinfeld curse. I mean, how many sitcoms had to die before Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jason Alexander and Michael Richards could have a successful show? Louis-Dreyfus seems to be the only one able to have a real sitcom life after Seinfeld but it took years before that was possible. With the success of Corner Gas, I didn't want to see the same thing happen to that cast.

Then I learned that Brent Butt wouldn't just be behind the camera of this show. Now he's playing the life coach hired by Nancy Robertson's character. Now usually I'm very happy when I see a husband and wife working together on a show. It makes my heart smile. But this case makes my heart sad. Just speaking for me personally, I think it's going to be hard to see them both together, but not as Brent and Wanda. I know they will be totally different characters and I'm sure they are both suberb actors who can pull it off, but I just don't think I have the mental strength to get past Corner Gas yet. I mean, it really hasn't been that long, especially if Hiccups is going to be in the 2010-2011 schedule (which I believe it is but don't quote me on that). I mean, think about if Jerry Seinfeld and Julia Louis-Dreyfus had done a show together 2 years after Seinfeld ended. Maybe it would have been the most wildly successful show ever but somehow I doubt that.

I'll still watch Hiccups and hope that they can help me get past Corner Gas but as of right now, I don't have much hope for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment