Friday, January 8, 2010

18 to Doyle

So here are my reviews of the new CBC shows:

(1) 18 to Life - I was actually pretty impressed. Considering the two leads with on other such Canadian classics as Degrassi and Regenesis, I did have some high expectations. At the same time, I didn't even realize this was a Canadian show till last week (I'm a bit slow at times). The opening wasn't fantastic but I think it's a show that I will enjoy watching week after week. It did have some pretty snappy writing. Though only thing that I don't enjoy is that the parents fall into the same stereotypes. It's kinda like Dharma and Greg...but with 18 year olds in that respect.

(2) Republic of Doyle - I wasn't as impressed but admittedly, I don't usually go in for cop shows. I have a feeling it might take me a couple episodes to really get into it. I have hope for it though! I'm going to keep watching it if only because it's set in Newfoundland. What colourful houses they have there! Though sometimes their accents sound more Irish than Newfie...

I'm just so happy to have some new shows to watch! Thank you, CBC. It's like you care.

4 comments:

  1. I did watch 18 to Life and found it pretty good. A little predictable, but I will give it a chance as a lot of shows do get better with time.
    I missed Republic of Doyle , so i will try and catch it this week.However I was just reading about I show I saw listed, but the title made me keep moving on,but I read an article about it this morning and I will tune in now and see if it's as good as it sounds.Darn you Ally!
    P.S. I will tease you a bit with Mayko, and the Giller Prize
    http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/article/747820--bloodletting-and-miraculous-cures-the-miserable-life-of-a-resident-doctor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, we've got Bloodletting... and Unnatural History coming up soon too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn it, I wish I got HBO Canada! I've been trying to get myself a copy of Bloodletting so I could read it and was then so excited when I heard they were making it into a mini-series. But I haven't heard of this Unnatural History. I'll have to do more research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unnatural History is filming now (I think). I know of this one as one of the kids auditioned (same thing with Bloodletting). Living in Your Car is another I can think of off the top of my head.

    To justify my MovieNetwork and HBO costs to hubby years ago I showed him the monthly tally for dvd rentals vs what the channels would cost. Much cheaper to get the channels. :)

    ReplyDelete