Wednesday, November 18, 2009

So Much More

So I'm watching MuchMusic. Back in the day, this was a usual occurrence when I was in high school and it was cool. But as I grew, this died off and I moved on. Of course, I fall victim to the whole "Back in my day, MuchMusic was a lot better" but watching it now, I'm feeling like it's true. I feel a little out of touch since right now they have the band Honour Society on and I have no idea who that is. I know that I am no longer the target audience for this channel and was never the type to stand on the street and scream when I see my favourite band but I miss the old MuchMusic. Back in the day with Rick the Temp. The best is remincising with friends about everybody's old favourite VJs.

But if you just look at the programming available, there's very few music videos actually being played. I miss the music video. If the early 2000's are defined by the 30 sec youtube video, the 90's will be all about the music video. I know videos aren't are important as they used to be and I was actually surprised that bands still make them but look at the way they are now presented on MuchMusic. While airing the premiere of an Honour Society video, there was a little box at the side that still showed the band actually at MuchMusic. There was something else along the bottom of the scene. Above that, there were little facts about the band, including the fact that they are all single. They also had (have?) the PunchMuch channel were viewers text in the videos want to see and they have the ones with the top votes listed at the bottom and then "shout outs" that people text in along the side. I suppose this is just another example of accelerated culture but I kinda miss actually watching a video and not all the stuff that's going on around it. I don't need to know how the lead singer of Hedley is dealing with his fame. Just let me watch the video!

No comments:

Post a Comment