Saturday, November 28, 2009

Rick Mercer

Can you believe that the Rick Mercer show is currently in it's 7th season? I was shocked to realize this today but I suppose it makes sense since it debuted the year before I went to university. It just doesn't feel right somehow. Anyway, this year I had fallen out of touch with ol' Rick. Sure I own his book but I wasn't watching him every week like in some years past. So today as I was feeling unwell, I sat myself down and caught up on the season.

I know that some people think that he was gotten over-hyped and seems to own the CBC (in partnership with TD) but that man still makes me laugh. The ridiculous things that he does on the show. I particularly liked when he went bungee jumping with Rick Hanson and you could tell that he really didn't want to do it. It was hilarious.

But the thing that makes me such a fan is how much he truly loves Canada. You can see it in every show and every page of his book. And his job is pretty much what every Canadian does anyway: critique Canada. But that in no way should imply that he (or all the other Canadians) don't love Canada. In fact, it's because we love Canada that we can point out it's faults. Just because you love something doesn't mean it's perfect. In fact, it's even harder to love something because it's imperfect.

George may be Canada's boyfriend but Rick is Canada's faithful husband, who despite all the issues and the fights, he'll always be there for. No matter how dysfunctional the relationship may be.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe its been seven years since he got his own show! It does not seem like that long ago at all. How could be possibly be over-hyped? He's a Canadian staple: I've liked him since before I was old enough to know what he was talking about!
    But I think you raised an excellent point about Canadians. Our critique of our country and those who govern it is the greatest show of our love. Perhaps not many understand that, but I would contend that most of Canada's biggest critics are also its biggest advocates. That's what makes us awesome, especially when you consider that we can do it all while finding the humour in it and joking about ourselves. Its sad that the international community doesn't 'get' it.

    ReplyDelete