Monday, May 17, 2010

The Trotsky

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of seeing The Trotsky in theatres. I just can't get over the excitement of seeing Canadian movies in the theatre. It lived up to all my expectations and probably surpassed them. Great story, great acting. I enjoyed how the high school actually looked like a high school. I like people with a little bit of crazy in them. But for me, it was exactly what Canadian films need to be. Funny, smart, and unique. And it was accessible without being too mainstream. For me, it's a beacon of hope for the future of Canadian cinema.

What was also interesting about it was its message. The (very Gen Y) idea that if you don't like the way something is, you need to get involved and try to change it. It's up to the students to fight for change in the schools otherwise there is nobody there truly representing them (unlike the trees, they have no Lorax to speak on their behalf). But this idea, mixed with all the slow-motion marching was quite inspiring.

So tell everyone you know to watch The Trotsky. Why? Because I want to change the way people view Canadian movies. I'm trying to get everyone I know to see it in theatres because the more interest people show in Canadian movies, the more likely the theatres will be to show them. I not only want to see more Canadian movies in theatres but I want more people to want to see these movies. We can only do this by supporting those that have made it this far. We need to show that there is a demand and for that, we need people to see Canadian movies and recognize how good they are. We need to change the way people to support and care about the Canadian films. I always say: Support the Canadian film industry because hopefully, one day it will support you.

No comments:

Post a Comment