Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Music

This post will only start with Grey's. It won't be another post about Grey's, I swear!

But as I was watching Grey's Anatomy the other day, I realized that 2 of the episodes this season used Metric songs. Now one of the things I love about Grey's was the music. It's always been one of the best parts of the show. But I found it strange that they would use Metric twice but it was fine with me since I've been listening to Metric's new cd lately and really like it.

What made it kinda strange is that it reminded me of a conversation we had during the Junos. They mentioned something about Metric being around for 10 years now (which makes sense) but also that this was their first cd to really be big in the States. And then I realized that I had been hearing Gimme Symphathy on the radio all the time and I have never heard a Metric song on an American station before (mind you, for a good 6 years there, I was barely listening to the radio at all). And also I had heard an interview with somebody from Degrassi (I think it was the person who played Darcy but I'm not quite sure) but she was talking about how she wished Hedley was more popular in the States because she loves hearing them on the radio.

And then we all realized that these bands that are huge in Canada are even really on America's radar. I know I was in the mind set that of course they had to be big in the States, otherwise I wouldn't have heard of them. Obviously if a band is popular, they must have the approval of our Southern cousins. But I'm kind of happy that we can celebrate our bands even if they haven't made it in the States yet. That really shouldn't matter (well, I understand it matters to them because it means more money, fame etc). I was surprised about Hedley since they seem like a band that would be popular in the States and like they have the fame already. I don't think Hedley hasn't "made it" since they aren't popular in America. I think they are doing quite well and I'm very happy that they are.

Maybe we're moving to a point where we can make our own bands famous without the help of the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment