Monday, May 3, 2010

Grey's

I'm going to try and not let this ramble on because much like Stargate, I could write a book on Grey's Anatomy. For some reason, I have put a lot of thought into this show. And emotion.

I was all prepared to hate this season. Me and season 5 didn't get along so well. But we just needed a break from each other because I am once again completely sucked in. It just seems much more sad this season. I knew George died but then watching them all deal with it, was terrible! Though I would have much preferred it if Izzy had actually stayed dead as well, as it how it was supposed to be. I tend to like how Grey's does deaths and the whole afterworld. I was looking forward to more of that. And Izzy isn't bothering me as much this time around. I thought I would be overjoyed when she got fired. It didn't really make me sad but I thought I'd be happier.

I think what is slightly different about this season is that they all seem to be in stable relationships. Meredith and Derek are married (via post-it but still consider themselves married) and there thankfully hasn't been any drama there. Cristina and Owen are working through the problems in their relationship. Mark and Lexie are living together. Kallie and Arizona are happy. Now there's some drama in the marriage of Alex and Izzie but that was bound to happen since in my opinion, Alex only married her because she was dying. So it takes the drama outside their personal lives and they actually get to be happy for a while instead of always drowning in sorrow.

Things I do like this season:
-that they have Izzy living with cancer. As she says, you never really expect to have to live with it. Either you go through the surgeries and chemo and radiation and it's gone or you think you die. But to have to live with it and just be happy with the news that it's stopped growing, that's hard.
-when Bailey was operating on Meredith (liver donation because Ellen Pompeo is pregnant and this gave a convienvent reason for why she was always in bed) and Bailey mentions how she's had to operate on 4 out of her 5 original interns (Alex being the only one excluded...so far).
-the merger. They incorporated the whole economic downturn and had Seattle Grace merge with Mercy West. Oh no! Shocking. But it makes them fear for their jobs and with all the people who have left the show already, nobody is really safe anymore. But do they really need to introduce new characters? There's already so many to keep track of. Though I'm sad they got rid of that one nurse who gave George syphilis. It was always nice to see her around.
-poor Cristina has no cardio god to look up to. Admittedly, she's had a tough time with cardio people since Burke left. I think she's been punished enough for that whole incident.

I think the one thing that makes me like this show is the friendships they depict. I love the relationship between Derek and Mark because I just like watching guys be friends. They had a little bit of a rough start but I was happy to see them going back to being friends. And especially Meredith and Cristina. There's never really any friend between them. They aren't the mushy best friends. They're both tough and strong women and it's nice to see them be so close. I even like how Meredith and Lexie get along now even though I hated Lexie in the beginning. I just like to see good, strong friendships.

This has been a much happier reunion than anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment