Friday, December 4, 2009

Question Period

For the first time, I actually watched an hour of Question Period. First of all, it makes me proud that it is televised, allowing all Canadians to keep an eye on what's actually going on in Parliament. Usually when I try to watch QP, it's rather boring. Usually they are all standing up discussing the details of some bill and I have no idea what's going on. But last night was spectacular! First they were discussing whether the government knew about the torture that was happening with the Afghan detainees. Then somebody brought up the long gun registry, the financial discrepancies, and the numerous Native women who have been murdered or gone missing. It was fascinating.

Here are some things I noticed:

-John Baird will stand up and talk about anything. Especially when he's not the one who a question is pointed at. He must love QP.

-the Conservatives main defense seems to be that all the bad things started when the Liberals were in power. All their problems are based on the previous government. Despite the fact that that previous government was now, what, almost 4 years ago?

-the Opposition apparently hate the troops

-The Minister of State in charge of the status of women reminds me of Sarah Palin.

-The Speaker of the House mostly sounds like a teacher in a classroom.

-There are a few attractive MPs. Not many, mind you, but some.

Makes me kinda wish that I had actually gone to a QP when I still lived in Ottawa. I really just want to see somebody thrown out!

2 comments:

  1. Uh oh. Now that you've been introduced to QP you may have to start a whole new blog!!

    Perhaps you may have script material for a new series with all the overinflated egos and drama that goes on there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true! But now randomly I will really really want to watch Question Period. It's weird.

    ReplyDelete