Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Splice

On Sunday afternoon we decided to go see a movie so we saw Splice. Now this isn't exactly a good Sunday afternoon movie since it left us all feeling rather uncomfortable.

From the director of Cube, I was expecting a scary sci-fi movie. My siblings seemed to think it would be sad. I was counting more on frightening just based on the clips I had seen of it. I can't really go into detail without giving it away but Splice went to a lot of places that I had not prepared myself for. It went a lot further than I thought it was going to (which isn't surprising since it was a Canada-France co-production. I should have been more prepared than I was). I was so sure that one scene was a dream since what was happening was so horrific but no, it was actually happening. And things just went further and further from there.

Now, the best part of the movie was watching the audiences' reaction. There was one specific incidence where every person in the audience reacted and started shifting around in their chairs. Everyone was just that uncomfortable (still even more happened after that). It was just interesting to watch everyone try to understand and deal with what was happening in the movie. Rarely have I seen the whole theatre react that way (it was even more extreme than the theatre-wide weeping during i am sam).

I don't want to discourage anyone from seeing it. It was a really interesting film and is definitely worth seeing but it does get a bit ... troublesome at times but isn't that what movies should do sometimes? It's definitely a movie that sticks with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment