Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Undying Love for Bryan Fuller

If there is one person I wish were Canadian it would be Bryan Fuller. He is my TV hero. If I could, I would write novels like Douglas Coupland but I would write TV like Bryan Fuller.

If you don't know Mr. Fuller, you really should get to know him. He created (or co-created) Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies. All are rather fantasy type shows with a lot of humour. Inanimate objects talk to a person, there's a group of grim reapers who release your soul from your body before you die and a piemaker is able to bring things back to life temporarily. It may sound weird but you've got some get premises for shows right there.

In a way though, Fuller is like a Canadian. Despite how fabulous all his shows are, and especially how critically acclaimed Pushing Daisies was, none of them lasted for more than two seasons (poor Wonderfalls actually only aired for 4 episodes before it was cut). I can't really explain it. I mean, I know that they were kind of oddball and out there but they are all among my favourite shows. Stylistically Pushing Daisies was the most different but still had the dark undertones to it but the humour remained the same throughout them all.

Fuller is just underappreciated. And I cannot express how happy I am that Heroes is over and he's back to developing a new series: Sellevision, based on a novel by Augusten Burroughs. And I know I will be sitting here patiently, waiting for it to air.

3 comments:

  1. I loved all those shows! Thanks to VisionTV I was able to see the unaired eps of Wonderfalls.

    Haven't heard of Sellevision I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked all of those shows too. Especiallly Dead Like Me. I got the first season as a gift and stored it away until I was ready to re-watch it, and then it made me miss it all over again and wish I had more.
    Augusten Burroughs sounds familiar. Did he write Running With Scissors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He did do Running with Scissors but Sellevision is a work of fiction unlike many of his other books. And it's about a home shopping channel so I have to say that even though I haven't heard the book, it sounds like it has a lot of potential.

    ReplyDelete