Friday, July 9, 2010

Rookie Blue

I always like to harass Global for its lack of Cancon. It always had a poor showing. Then I heard that they were going to be doing a co-pro called Copper and I thought it was a step in the right direction. Then I was never able to find it on their schedule or find out when it was debuting. Eventually I learned that Copper became Rookie Blue and it started last week. So I missed the first episode which is a shame since apparently in the pilot there was a call-out to Jameson Ave in Parkdale. Though a surprise to hear local addresses like that on TV, not surprising that they chose Parkdale for the location of it.

Anyway, overall I enjoyed it. It reminds me a little of Grey's Anatomy but am not entirely sure if it will continue in the same way. It doesn't necessarily have the same gritty, mean streets feel to it that some other cop shows have but we are focusing on rookies and even though it's set in Toronto, it's not exactly mean streets around here (despite what happened during the G20...now that would make a good episode!!!). I am interested to see how it develops since there seems to be a turn towards more hybrid type shows. So dramas with a lot more comedic elements to it, so shows like NCIS or Republic of Doyle (I was reading some where and I'm pretty sure it was the CBC saying that they were looking for more lighter dramas now).

The one thing I love about Canadian shows is hearing Canadian music. Last night episode featured a Metric song (they've done pretty well for themselves lately, haven't they?) which isn't unusual since I'm pretty sure the same song appeared in an episode of Grey's Anatomy. But apparently the pilot featured a song by the Great Lake Swimmers and they too have been doing pretty awesome lately. Moral of the story: always judge a show by the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment