Wednesday, July 21, 2010

New Discoveries

So during this summer, I have been gorging myself on American television. It's not like I mean to but without cable and having missed some shows I really wanted to see, I'm just trying to play catch-up. Besides, as much as I hate to admit it, they produce some pretty good shows. Like:

(1) Flashforward: I've wanted to see this since I first heard about it. Based on a book (written by a Canadian), everyone blacks out at the same time and sees a few minutes of their future in 6 months. It raised a lot of interesting issues by having people not wanting their flashforward to come true, others afraid that they won't and some people not having them at all. I just dove right in and loved every minute of it.

But of course, there will be no season 2. I think what was really working against it was that not a lot of people want to see serialized television anymore. With shows like Lost and 24 gone and the unendless amount of reality television, it's hard to get people to hooked in a story and commit to it. Especially when they miss an episode or there's a long hiatus, serialized shows are just harder to get back into. But I still love them. There's just something so satisfying to watching it all build up to the finale. That's what makes me want to come back week after week (or commit myself to watching the whole thing online which is sorta cheating with serialized shows).

(2) Community: I literally just found out about this show two weeks ago and only by chance when I was flipping through the channels. I love it. It has some of the same director's as Arrested Development and that alone should make you want to watch it. It's just this quirky little show about an odd group of people who are in this study group and go to a community college that tries to be a real school. I'm pretty sure it's been picked up for a second season (weird! but then again I didn't start watching it until now so I doubt there'll be a third) so keep your eyes out for it.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Flashforward, and unfortunatly there was a long hiatus and I almost didn't watch it again because after watching the first episode, I had to try and remember everything that had happened before, but once I got back into it, I was hooked, again.I wish it was coming back.
    I tried watching Community for an episode or two, but just couldn't get into it. However, I have been watching more of The Middle and Modern Family lately and find they are growing on me so maybe I should give it a second chance if I see it listed.

    ReplyDelete