Thursday, July 8, 2010

Good-Bye Stargate

Last night was a sad night indeed. We have completely finished watching Stargate SG-1. It was a long haul at times (especially after watching Atlantis) but what a wonderful time. 10 seasons, 214 episodes, it's done.

As much as I love the early episodes and the original SG-1, the later seasons were really the best. The Ori were a much better enemy, though the human form replicators were also pretty good. And who doesn't love Vala? She added a nice contrast to Sam who was sexualized and idealized but was never really portrayed very womanly (even though her sex organs are on the inside). Vala actually talks about sex! She's an alien so she can get away with being sexy and trying to seduce Jackson. Oh good times. Vala was just adding an interesting dimension to the show and loosened everything up. I mean, how many times did any character actually talk about sex before hand? (I sometimes wonder if this stems from the fact that I am a woman and sci-fi really isn't aimed at women and Vala added something that was more interesting to women?)

But I have to say that the last episode is probably one of my favourite episodes. I think I had seen it before but never realized it was the final episode. It was so sad though. I do think that they would have let the ship be destroyed years before they actually did but that's okay. I think especially in season 10, everyone get to loosen up a bit and the writers got to put in a lot more jabs (especially in episode 200).

I'm a little sad that there is no more seasons but there are still 2 movies and eventually I'll see how this Universe thing is working out. But for the time being, I need a bit of a Stargate break.

No comments:

Post a Comment